Motor Vehicle Calendar – Important Dates
|Renew long-term leased automobiles. The first letter of the owner or registrant’s name determines the expiration month, i.e.,|
|Renew motor vehicle license plate, which is valid until midnight of the owner’s birthday. Renewals accepted 90 days prior to birth month. This applies to passenger cars, recreational vehicles, light trucks under 5,000 lbs., small trailers and motorcycles.If you have a disabled parking placard, check the year of expiration Renew accordingly.|
||Renew decals for mobile homes in rental parks.
||Renew company-owned motor vehicles 5,000 lbs. And under.
||Register trucks over 5,000 pounds, truck-trailers, semi-trailers and automobiles for hire which carry nine or more passengers.|
Important Facts Information
- All individual to individual title applications are processed through the Tax collector’s Office. Dealer’s are required to prepare all paperwork (title, registration) on motor vehicles purchased through their business.
- Florida requires display of a single license plate on the rear of the vehicle, except
for trucks with a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or more. Those trucks are
issued two license plates with the plate bearing the decal displayed on the front.
- License plates belong to the person, not the vehicle, and may be officially transferred to
a replacement vehicle.
- Registrations for short-term leased vehicles expire in six months
- Registration expirations for long-term leased vehicles are staggered by the first letter of
leasing company’s name.
- Registrations for heavy trucks expire December 31.
- There are five counties in Florida that require emission inspections at this time, which
are Broward, Duval, Hillsborough, Palm Beach and Pinellas.
- All Florida drivers must have at least $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) auto
insurance and at least $10,000 property damage liability (PDL) insurance. For more
information contact the Department of Insurance Consumer Helpline at 1-877-693-5236,
or your local insurance agent.
- Registrations for Mobile Homes are due each January unless classified as Real Property.